The admission to the MDP Program follows the admission standard for
Course-based MSc programs in the Department of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences.
Minimum Requirements for admission into the MDP Program
- A 4-year undergraduate degree or its academic equivalent from a recognized university. Students
from all academic backgrounds with strong mathematical, statistical, and computational skills will be considered.
A grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 in the last two years (*60) of relevant undergraduate work (or graduate work) at the University of Alberta, or an equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
International students need to satisfy the English proficiency requirements as outlined in
the Department's graduate admission webpage.
A few tips on preparing a strong application package:
- Describe in the Personal Statement your motivation to apply to the MDP program, and how MDP would
help you achive your career objectives.
- Experiences on work, internships, research projects, extracurricular activities are considered favourably during the
application reviews. Highlight these experiences in your Personal Statement. Ask a reference
to describe your performances during work or a project.
- Online courses related to Data Science are considered a plus. Include certificates of completion for relevant
online courses in your application.
- To avoid delay in the admission process, pay special attention to the requirements of
offcicial transcripts as outlined on the
FGSR website. If you graduated from an institution a few years ago, the transcript issued to you at your graduation will NOT be considered official. Request a new copy of your transcript before you apply so that
the transcript will have a recent date of issue.
For other information related to the MDP application and program, please see the MDP FAQ.