site under excavation in the 1970s.
The Par-Tee site consists of a large shell
midden, or refuse heap, that in some areas
was over 2 meters deep. A structure, perhaps
a house, was found at the site. Very little
documentation exists regarding this structure
but it appears to have been built over a
shallow pit and was perhaps oval in outline.
At some point during the course of its occupation,
portions of the site were used as a cemetery.
Several radiocarbon dates from the site
indicate that it was occupied from around
2000 years b.p. to around 1000 years b.p.
house pit under excavation in the 1970s.
The shellfish remains recovered from the
site are dominated by estuarine species,
indicating that the site was likely on the
margins of a shallow saltwater embayment
during its occupation. Some shellfish remains
in the midden, such as razor clams and California
mussels, also indicate beach and rocky outer
coastal habitat was nearby. While a small
estuary is present in the Seaside area today,
it is likely a small remnant of what was
once a more substantial bay.
feature under excavation at Par-Tee. The
function of this feature is unknown. The
only documentation available for this feature
is this photograph.
In 2003 as part of a post-doctoral fellowship
through the National
Museum of Natural History(NMHN), Dr.
Robert Losey spent analyzed the tools and
shellfish remains from Par-Tee site. Some
preliminary findings of his research are
present here. Other studies of Par-Tee faunal
remains have been carried out by Dr. Roger
Colton and Dr. Ruth Greenspan through fellowships
provided by the NMNH. Analysis of the human
skeletal remains has been undertaken by
Dr. Steve Ousley and Dr. Risa Arbolino of