The ALS Program provides the following services:
- Assessment & Investigations: neurological assessment and investigations as required
- Symptom management: for pain, speech, swallow, nutrition, movement, and respiratory concerns
- Education: for patients, their families and other healthcare workers regarding ALS, treatment options and advanced healthcare planning
- Claims support: for tax and insurance paperwork as needed
- Research: magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) biomarkers, clinical drug trials, advanced electrophysiological techniques (motor unit number estimation, transcranial magnetic simulation), quality of life and end of life care, cognitive impairment evaluation
The clinic is run out of two separate sites:
- Kaye Edmonton Clinic: This site is for newly diagnosed patients and those who do not need advanced respiratory support.
- Misericordia Hospital - Outpatient Clinic Area: This site specializes in advanced respiratory support.
There is a routine follow-up every 3 months; however, patients may be seen at more (or less) regular intervals depending on their needs.
The clinic is multidisciplinary in nature and you can see any or all of the following, depending on your needs:
- Respiratory Therapy
- Speech Language Pathology
- Dietary Services
- Social Work
Visits can take up to three hours and patients are encouraged to bring family and/or friends as support and any nourishment required for the duration of the visit.
- Home Care Services
- Home Nutrition Support Program
- Respiratory Outreach Program
- I CAN Centre for Assistive Technology
- Regional Palliative Care Services
For any medical concerns associated with ALS, please contact the ALS nurse specialist at (780) 407-3719.
For any medical concerns not related to ALS, please contact your family physician.
For questions about equipment loans or support services, please contact the ALS Society of Alberta at (780) 487-0754 or toll free at 1-866-447-0754.
For more information
Please direct general clinic enquiries to:
Please direct research related questions to: