Sirdar Khan Mosque

The imposing mosque of Sirdar Khan is located in the area of Mozang. According to historians, Kanhaiya Lal and Latif, Sirdar Khan Baloch was the Lumbardar of Mozang and he built this mosque in 1858, close to the tomb of Sheikh Abdullah Shah Baloch, Sirdar Khan Mosquewhich he also had a dome built over. The original construction included a magnificent 3-storey central prayer chamber surmounted by a multitude of domes embellished with petal-like ornamentation. The surrounding boundary wall was intersected with lofty towers at the corners. Sirdar Khan had intended to build four of these lofty towers but only two of these had been erected and the mosque hadn't even been painted yet  that he died. Though incomplete, the mosque was still an imposing edifice in its time and its lofty minarets could be seen from a considerable distance. The boundary wall and the two corner towers were later demolished leaving only the central prayer chamber which has now been painted white.

Presently, the mosque is known as the Mosque of Abdullah Shah Baloch. The residents of the area, which include the subsequent family members of Abdullah Shah Baloch, maintain that the mosque was started by Sheikh Abdullah Shah Baloch but remained unfinished when he died and was later completed by his nephew Sirdar Khan Baloch. Abdullah Shah Baloch flourished at the time of three Sikh rulers of Lahore and was a well known poet of the Punjabi language. He founded a new village west of Mozang which is called, after his name, Kot Abdullah Shah. He died in 1797 and is revered as a saint by the people of the area.

*Photo courtesy of Lucy Peck.

back to sites