On the same side of the road as Government House,
but set well back is a building with an imposing
pediment portico. The Administrative Staff College
is situated directly opposite the Pearl Continental
Hotel and is set amidst large grounds. This is the
original, once exclusive Punjab Club—a reminder of a
distant past when British clubs were synonymous with
a rarefied world of the rulers. The club was
established in 1904 and the building was constructed
The club building was taken over during the early
1960s and converted to the use of the Administrative
Staff College, where courses for the training of
government officials began to be organized. Although
the building was built at a time when the Modern
Movement in architecture was sweeping through Europe
and USA, the Punjab Club members sought to establish
their exclusivity by the use of classical symbolism,
which was reflected in the creation of a grand
projecting portico employing Doric order and giant
two storey high columns.
The single-storey side wings are lower in height,
and employ Roman arcading for the verandahs.
Plastered and painted white, the grand edifice set
off by the verdant green of the surrounding lawns
and foliage, dominates a large, well maintained
estate. A few quietly attractive small structures
have also been built to provide extra accommodation.
You can enter the curving driveway shaded by large
trees and bordered with foliage, to fully enjoy the
lofty porticoed structure amidst leafy surroundings.