- André dos Santos (post-doc, ongoing)
- Peiran Yao (PhD, ongoing)
- Graham Alexander (MSc, ongoing)
- Ningyuan Pei (MSc, ongoing)
- Varun Ranganathan (MSc, ongoing)
- Andrea Whitakker (MSc, ongoing)
- Tobias Renwick (MSc, ongoing)
- Shruthi Ravishankar (MSc, ongoing)
- Daniel Caminhas (MSc, 2019); software engineer at Amazon
- Erin Macdonald (MSc, 2019); NLP engineer at Intuit
- Weite Ni (MSc, 2019); NLP engineer at YITU
- Candy Pang (PhD, 2019, co-supervised with Abram Hindle); Assistant Professor at Grant McEwan
- Peng Xu (MSc, 2018); Research Engineer at Borealis AI
- Matteo Cannaviccio (PhD, 2018, co-supervised with Paolo Merialdo); Machine Learning Engineer at Diffbot
- Zhaochen Guo (PhD, 2018); Machine Learning Engineer at Diffbot
- Hoda Sepheri Rad (PhD, 2016); Machine Learning Researcher at Granify
- Filipe Mesquita (PhD, 2015); Research Manager at Diffbot
- Yoones Shekavat (post-doc 2014); Assistant Professor, Tabriz Art University
- Ivanilton Polato (Visiting PhD, 2013--2014); Associate Professor, Federal Technological University of Parana, Brazil
- Ajay Anandan (MSc, 2012); Product Manager at Square
- Gregory Leighton (PhD, 2011); Director of R&D at Pharm3r
- Stephanie Husby (MSc, 2011); Post-Secondary Instructor, MacEwan University
- Mirko Bronzi (Visiting PhD, 2011); Senior NLP Research Engineer at Nuance Communications
- Mauricio Moraes (Visiting PhD, 2011); Software engineer at HP
- Maryam Hasan (MSc 2011, co-supervised with Eleni Stroulia)
- Diego Serrano (MSc 2011, co-supervised with Eleni Stroulia)
- Hua He (MSc 2010, co-supervised with Greg Kondrak)
- Paolo Cappellari (post-doc, 2008-2009)
- Jagoda Walny (MSc, 2009)
Note to grad school applicants
Admission decisions are made by a committee that compares all applicants based on GPA, breadth and depth of knowledge in Computing Science, letters of recommendation, and proficiency in English. Here are instructions on how to apply.
If you would like me to support your application, consider that I will only express support for your application if you provide me strong evidence that you are both qualified and very interested or if you are recommended to me by a colleague whom I know and trust.
- If you are applying for the thesis-based MSc program, send me a personalized email describing your best project that uses one of machine learning, information retrieval, or natural language processing.
- If you are applying for the PhD program, read one of my papers or the papers that they cite following the how to read a paper technique and send me the result of your second pass. Also, try to explain something you would like to study further, and why.
Also, please copy/paste this note on your email:
I have read your note, and I am not mass-emailing you.
Openings for visitors, undergraduates, and high-school interns
I occasionally supervise international visiting students, both at the undergraduate and at the graduate level, as well as local high school students, on specific projects that are related to the research of my current graduate students.
If you are not in Canada, please consult UAlberta International for details on the programs offered by the University of Alberta. I can only supervise you through such programs.
If you are a local high-school student with a strong passion for CS, please consult the Ross and Verna Tate High School Internship Program.