Denilson Barbosa is an Associate Professor in the Department of Computing Science at the University of Alberta. He earned a PhD from the University of Toronto in 2005 working on Web data management, and since then has worked on databases, the Web, information retrieval and natural language processing, with emphasis on information extraction from semi-structured and unstructured sources. He has co-authored dozens of articles in prestigious conferences and journals as well as a book on Perspectives on Business Intelligence (Morgan & Claypool Publishers, 2013).
He has served as Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (2015-2018) and Elsevier's Computational Intelligence Journal (2015-2018) and as Program Committee member of all major database and Web conferences on several occasions. He was the Program Committee co-Chair of the 3rd IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics, the 28th Canadian Conference on Artificial Intelligence, the 1st and 2nd ACM SIGMOD Workshop on Databases and Social Networks (co-located with SIGMOD 2011 and 2012), the 3rd International Workshop on Data Engineering Meets the Semantic Web (co-located with ICDE 2012), and the 5th International XML Database Symposium (co-located with VLDB 2007). He also served as an Associate Editor of SIGMOD Record from 2010 to 2014 and as the ACM SIGMOD Information Director and Web Editor of the Record from 2006 to 2012. He was a principal investigator and the Leader of the Data Quality Theme of the NSERC Business Intelligence Network.
D. Barbosa is the recipient an Alberta Ingenuity New Faculty Award, an IBM Faculty Award, the Best Paper Award at the 2010 IEEE Conference on Data Engineering, and he supervised the recipients of the Best Undergraduate Poster Award at the 2012 ACM SIGMOD Conference. He was a Visiting Scientist at the Max-Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany from July 2014 to April 2015, and a Visiting Professor (BIT) at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, during the Summer of 2008.
- Supervisor of the Best SIGMOD 2012 Undergraduate Research Poster
- Best Paper Award--26th IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2010)
- Alberta Ingenuity New Faculty Award, 2007
- IBM Faculty Award, 2006
- Guest speaker at the MITACS MoMiNIS Seminar Series at Dalhousie University
- Departmental Teaching Award---2009
- Visiting researcher at Max-Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany; July 2014--April 2015.
- Visiting Professor (BIT) at the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy; Summer 2008;
- Visiting faculty at the IBM Centre for Advanced Studies since January 2005
- Alumnus of the Database Group at the University of Toronto, under the supervision of Alberto Mendelzon
- IBM PhD. Fellowship; Summer 2002 -- Fall 2004