ATOP | Links | Research | How you can help


company profiles

True North Energy (Koch, see UTS)

Project title: Fort Hills Oil Sands Project
Type: Surface Mine

"TrueNorth Energy L.P. is an independent energy company with operations focused in the the abasca Oil Sands Region of Alberta, Canada. The company's headquarters are in Calgary with a Fort Hills Project office in Fort McMurray, Alberta. TrueNorth Energy is the operator and 78 per cent owner of the proposed Fort Hills Oil Sands Project. UTS Energy Corporation holds the remaining 22 percent. The Fort Hills Oil Sands Project is designed to produce 95,000 barrels of bitumen per day from the initial mine by 2005 and 190,000 by 2008. There are approximately 2.8 billion barrels of mineable bitumen on the leases, providing for about 40 years of operation. The project is estimated to cost approximately $3.5 billion."

"The plan at Fort Hills is to mine and process approximately 55 million tonnes of oil sand per year, starting in 2005, yielding about 95,000 barrels of bitumen per day. Mining and processing will increase to 110 million tonnes per year by 2008, yielding about 190,000 barrels of bitumen per day. The bitumen blend, including diluent, will be transported via third party pipelines to refineries in Canada and the Midwest United States".

This project is supported by the Alberta Public Interest Research Group